Storing your salt on your own property saves you time and money. But, it is imperative to pay special attention to your storage facility to protect your investment. Salt needs to be kept dry and contained. Depending on how much salt you use in a year, we’ve compiled several salt storage options that can work best for you.
Tarp Salt Storage
Some may start by using a simple tarp cover for salt storage, but this is a very inconvenient and costly method. A tarp cover cannot withstand wind and other weather, and can’t keep your salt properly contained. In the long run, it’s better to invest in a stronger type of storage dome than to potentially put your salt at risk.
Bin Salt Storage
At Draglam Salt, we offer plastic bins for residential homes, small and medium businesses to use for their salt storage. Our bins are made of high density polyethylene to ensure they withstand the elements and prevent any water from leaking into the salt. The bins are 2.25 feet high by 2.5 feet wide and 1.75 feet deep.
Our storage bins can hold approx. 7 bags of 20 kg rock salt (140kg capacity), which is on average a sustainable amount for small businesses to salt their properties throughout the year. But if your business requires more salt, you need a larger solution.
Large Domes for Salt Storage
Large industrial domes are made of highly engineered tension fabric held up by a steel frame. These domes have several advantages over other kinds of salt storage:
- Allows for natural light, which saves you the cost of lighting the storage facility.
- Natural light also prevents growth of mould, which is a major problem in wooden salt storage facilities.
- The highly-engineered fabric is waterproof and durable.
- No interior supports are needed, so it is easy to maneuver machinery inside the dome.
- You can safely load and unload salt directly into the storage dome.
- Fabric domes are simple to install and remove. *Draglam Salt offers installation for salt domes.
- Fabric domes, on average, are 30 percent less expensive than wood or metal salt storage structures.
Order Your Salt Storage Dome
Draglam Salt offers 16 different sizes of salt domes, from 17 feet by 18 feet up to 30 feet by 60 feet. Take a look at our list of available salt dome sizes. We suggest getting a storage dome that’s large enough to store your annual bulk salting needs, which will save you time and money in the long run. If you’re unsure about what size you’ll need, our salt experts at Draglam Salt would be happy to help you find the right one.
Buy your salt storage from a company you can rely on. At Draglam Salt, we’ve been helping customers for more than 25 years. Contact us for all of your salt needs, whether it’s storage, delivery, or figuring out which deicing products are right for you. If you need an urgent request or an emergency order, you can always call us at our 24-HOUR Salt Hotline 1-888-907-SALT!